Thursday 4 September 2008

Lessons from TOW2 in practice - Part 16!

How I use the web is constantly changing and it's been valuable to review it during the course.

Currently I want to be able to do several things:

1. ACCESS all my existing material, on any subject, from any computer, from anywhere, at anytime, quickly, easily and securely.
(eg. I want to be in Philadelphia at my cousin's computer and be able to show her our GGGrandparent's actual Marriage Certificate.
It's currently in a drawer in my filing cabinet, on my home PC, and now privately online.
)

2. PULL material that I may be interested in, automatically, from the Web.
(eg. I want to learn how to take better photos and use my new DSLR camera.
I'm now subscribed to 2 "Beginners" groups on Flickr that feed by RSS to my iGoogle page.)

3. PUT material that others may be interested in OR that I may want for future reference on the Web.
(eg. I've now started a new Blog called Phlogging that records the progress of my photography journey primarily for my benefit.
Information gleaned from the web is now summarized on a private Luminotes wiki and my attempts to use it are recorded on the public Phlogging blog.)

The next post to this blog will update my progress towards these 3 goals.

No comments: