Tuesday 12 August 2008

YouTube, Google Video and the birth of a radical!

The Slow Learner's Web 2.0 video experience was a revelation.

Choosing the Olympics as a topic (duh!) I soon decided to see if there was any footage of the 1956 Melbourne Olympics on YouTube.
I found this clip Pequeños clips de la ceremonía de inauguración that is a 9 minute video of the opening ceremonies of the 1948 London, 1952 Helsinki and Melbourne Olympics.

Thinking that it was a bit long for the blog I wondered if I could download the video to edit it on my computer.
YouTube does not offer a download facility, but a quick Google search soon found a free program that does download from YouTube (www.dvdvideosoft.com).

After downloading, I edited the Melbourne bits in Windows Movie Maker to create this 5 minute clip that I posted to Google Video:




While searching YouTube I had come across a clip that outraged me.
Someone had made a 30-second clip of the current state of the 1956 Olympic Rowing Course at Lake Wendouree with their mobile phone.
What started out as a YouTube exercise finished up as my first ever public political statement.
(I said I was a slow learner.)

Victoria's Olympic Disgrace :

No comments: