Saturday 30 August 2008

eBooks, Audio Books and Overdrive - but especially Overdrive!

The "free" eBooks were a bit difficult to find on the World Book Fair site - each title I searched for required some type of annual subscription.
And I found that much of the material I located was too old to be useful - eg any book on cameras that does not mention digital technology is obsolete.

A note of self-discovery was that I found that I was reluctant to browse a list of titles.
Why?
Have I become too accustomed to searching for "what-I-want" instead of browsing what is available?
Is this what the Internet has done to me or have I always treated libraries and book stores the same?
My guess is that the answer has something to do with time pressures.

Putting that aside, my eBook and Overdrive experience began by accident several months ago.
While searching the YPRL on-line catalogue for a particular "Dummies" book I found I was able to order it on-line as an eBook.
When it became available - just like a real book - I received an email from the Library.
After downloading the dedicated reader I had full use of the book for several weeks before it "expired".
It's a brilliant initiative from YPRL and its associated libraries - potentially  hugely expanding the catalogue with current useful titles.

No comments: