Thursday 7 August 2008

Module 2 Review : Must stop playing with Images

If nothing else, this module was FUN!
(Although I'd hate to do it with a dial-up connection.)

After posting a few pictures on Flickr; the "Tin Man" to my profile; and sticking to "Slow Learner" as a name; the various recommended resources opened up a whole new world.

Flickr got my images into cyberspace and onto the blog in a tricky little gizmo.
But (due to Tags) someone, somewhere, somehow saw one of the images and posted a comment.
What a buzz!

Then, using the same pictures, the image generators were discovered.
The blog is now littered with the various outcomes.

Image Chef allowed me to personalise their pictures, imagegenerator.org had hundreds of links to other gizmo's and dumpr was amazingly quick and easy.

I suspect that slide.com and dumpr are the best examples of Web 2.0 in action.
Without leaving the slide.com site I selected pictures from my Flickr stream, picked a presentation style and had the code generated to copy and paste into Blogger.
Dumpr went one better: picture from Flickr, played with on Dumpr, and posted directly into the blog as new posts - all without leaving Dumpr.

Bubbleshare received a quick glance but seemed to be duplicating Flickr.

Voicethread was explored but has been stored in the memory bank for a future, no-blogging application.

My favourites are those where a new image is created placing my original on a magazine cover or in an art gallery.

Summary: The image aspect of Web 2.0 is sensational because it is now multi-dimensional.
It's not just about the pictures, not just about the tricks and gadgets you can use with the pictures, but it's also about the social aspect of others seeing your outcomes and interacting.

1 comment:

skewco said...

It is easy to get lost moving from one link to another and trying to find your way back again. I have tried opening a new window each time so that I can move between the different programs